CMLRE has been instrumental in implementing the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan under the aegis of Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation in the beach area of Mararikulam North Panchayath, Ward XV, Alappuzha District. The program started during July 2018 and came to a close on 8th June 2019. Mararikulam North Panchayath, 25 Students each from VHSS Kanichukulangara and St.Augastine's High School, 15 Arogya Sena Women of the Panchayath and Offcials from CMLRE actively participated during the 12 months program. The entire team removed plastic waste from the ward and 540 houses monthly once. Every month the team removed 70-76 Kg of plastic waste. It was cleaned and dried on payment and cleared to shredding unit in the Panchayath for onward transmission to road tarring.
The programmes envisioned include-
1. Implement swacch bharat programme for one year - 12 months
2. Involve panchayath people in the programme
3. Seek the help of students so that they can be made aware for a bright future
4. The area with a number of ponds and we needed to protect them with good water
1. School students from VHSS Kanichukulangara and students from St. Augustine's (25 each) have participated in the programme. Three teachers regularly accompanied the students.
2. Panchayath arranged 15 AROGYA SENA women to assist the programme.
3. 12 months plastic waste removed . Each month 75 to 78 kg removed.
4. The plastics were cleaned and dried.
5. Supplied to shredding units and from there to tarring. Thus successfully implemented.
6. Planted 40 ponds with vetiver. The plant has amazing property of absorbing excess minerals and keep water clean and also maintain water level even during dry season.
The valedictory function took place on OCEAN DAY, 8th June, 2019. During the function the following programmes arranged-
A. An oath has been taken to No to plastic
B. The ward has been declared as plastic free ward.
C. The ward member assured that further programme will be taken up in this regard
D. Local people got awareness of the menace of plastic
E. 540 houses were provided with a cotton bag to use it and discard plastic
F. Students were given certificate, pen as memento and a cotton bag as an appreciation for their work.
G. Students also were motivated on the subject
On the whole the program was rated as a model activity.